Sunday, October 16, 2011

Culture Bit: Go Hogs! ... Say What?

Having moved from NYC area to Northwest Arkansas and the Bentonville area, I have experienced many different culture shocks and educated moments.  One that is very present now is the culture that surrounds the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Northwest Arkansas people go nuts for hogs.  And when I say hogs, I mean the University of Arkansas Football team, the Razorbacks.  Never have I lived somewhere where the entire community seems to orbit around a sporting season, much less a collegiate football one.

On game day, cars can be seen driving about town with Razorbacks flags flying out their windows.  People wear the bright blaze red to show off their loyalty, and businesses wonder what the impact will be on their services.  (E.g. sports bars and restaurants see massive profit while retailers may see fewer customers, and Walmart will sell masses of "Hogs" merchandise.)

I am not a football fan.  I do not understand the game, despite having it explained to me by my college roommate and several men who wish to educate me.  I find the stop and go tedious, the rules difficult, and the scoring arbitrary.

What I do enjoy, is how it brings people together.  While there is the contingent who tailgate the games (an experience I have yet to have) there is a large amount of parties that occur in homes.  People come together and cook while watching the game.  Catching up with each other (while the game awkwardly lurches along in the background).  Children play outside the house on their bikes, and people are generally in good cheer, even if the game is lost!  And of course, everyone is dressed in bright blaze red, loyal to the team.

Now why can't we do all this while we watch professional Hockey or Soccer?

Note:  Some people have the Razorback logo put on festive cakes, such as Anniversary or Wedding cakes.  For serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Freya loves feedback!