Thursday, March 1, 2012

Wine-o: Sterling Cabernet Sauvignon

Sterling Vintner's Collection Cabernet Sauvignon, 2009 Central coast Sonoma, CA
13.5% Alcohol

This wine has made me question what a "typical" California Cabernet Sauvignon tastes like.  I enjoyed the bold and full flavors.  It has a lingering finish of spicy flavors.  I would say that this wine is a bit more spicy than I anticipated, and also drier than I prefer.  In many ways it reminds me of a Zinfandel, more spicy than the round full flavor I was expecting.  I found that the more it aerated, the less I enjoyed it.  It was very good just after opening to a day after.

I would very much like to visit Sterling Vineyards at some point.  When I asked my grandmother which vineyards in the area she enjoyed the most on her tours of Napa, Sterling was one of the first.  To reach the winery, one can take a gondola and enjoy a one of a kind view of the valley.  I find the Napa landscape breathtaking and think this would be a very fun outing.

Freya's Score: 6 
This wine paired well with venison chili.  I wonder how it would go with a barbecue pulled pork...

Cost: ~ $10 in Southern Missouri, bought from the Macadoodle's location in Pineville, MO.  This is a great deal if you purchase it with the fantastic Macadoodle's case of wine deal.  Try out the Macadoodle's new e-commerce store to have wine and other goodies delivered to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Freya loves feedback!