Thursday, January 26, 2012

Wine-o: Friday's Folly & Venison Steak Marinade

Friday's Folly Red Table Wine, Boulder CO

And a folly this wine is.  I should've known by the label as there is no year printed.  However it does note "100% Colorado Grown" which I thought was a good sign...  


This wine tastes off, it has a musty overpowering smoky flavor.  The first night I opened it I felt it was drinkable, and I looked forward to trying it again after it had aired a day.  But alas, it tasted only worse a day later.  

It was when I realized drinking it was a chore that I decided to convert it into marinade.  I have no doubt that it will flavor our venison backstrap steak deliciously tonight.

Simple venison marinade:

5 parts red wine
sprinkle of Tarragon 

1 part Dale's Seasoning sauce (optional: any steak sauce will do, omitting the sauce and using just wine will also work)

Allow steak to sit out for a couple hours.  It is important to thaw the steak in warm saltwater.  This will take away some of the "gamey" flavor.  After steak is mostly thawed, cover with marinade and let sit until ready to cook.


Wild game is a much leaner (and healthier) meat than beef or farm raised meat that you will find in the grocery store.  Because of this it is important to cook the meat very hot and very fast.  If the meat is left on the heat for a longer time it will lose a lot of it's moisture and gain a touch texture.



 Freya's Score: 3 I give this wine points for being a local wine where I bought it.  The wine has a better flavor than Arkansas red wines, it is more musty than overly sweet.

Cost: ~ $15  from a liquor store between Boulder and Denver

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Freya loves feedback!