Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wine-o: Cupcake Pinot Grigio

Cupcake 2011 Pinot Grigio
Central Coast California (grapes imported from Italy)
Alcohol 12.5%
Price $9

I just realized this is my first Pinot Grigio review!  So please note that I do not have a lot of knowledge about this type of wine.  These are the general facts I have learned:
  • not sweet
  • pairs well with fish
  • serve chilled
  • not a lot of people are wild about this and it's not as widespread as Chardonnays or Rieslings
I decided to go all out with the Cupcake whites.  The price is right, I cannot get over their gorgeous logo, and a friend featured the wine at her wedding.  This is an off dry wine, pear in color and very clear.  It is very crisp.  Not extremely floral or herbal like some Sauvignon Blancs, and not buttery like my favorite Chardonnays.  I found the back label very informative and helpful:
We traveled to Trentino, Italy in the foothills of the Italian Alps because of its unique quality to produce lush, flavorful Pinot Grigio.  Our Pinot Grigio is full, with the flavors of ripe pears, a creamy mid-palate and a long lingering finish.  It's reminiscent of a pear cupcake with white chocolate.  Enjoy with bay scallops in a cream sauce, linguine alfredo, or simply as an aperitif

Freya's Score 71
Mona's Value 7.9
The MV is calculated by dividing the FS by the price, giving a better analytic that takes into consideration price as well as overall taste

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Freya loves feedback!