Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Culture Bit: New Hampshire Blueberries

New Hampshire grows delicious blueberries.  I have become a huge fan since our move.  I have them with my morning cereal, dessert, sometimes alongside a lunch sandwich.  Delicious.  The BF and I decided to take advantage of a local farm that featured "Pick Your Own".  We found this handy information on the NH site
Super Acres - blueberries
722 River Road, Lyme, NH 03768. Phone: (603) 353-9807. Email us at:patrice.g.super@valley.net . Directions: Located just south of the covered bridge, or 4 miles north of the Thetford/Lyme Bridge. Click here for a map to our farm. We are open July, August. Our hours are: 8am-7pm daily during blueberry season. Late July through August. Pick Unsprayed blueberries in our 1,200 plant orchard near the Connecticut River and Clay Brook.
Onsite, they provided pints to take your berries home in, as well as picking buckets for customers to borrow.  They also had a handy sign to help us figure out what to do.

1.  Pick Blueberries
2.  Weigh blueberries (arrow pointing to scale right next to sign)
3.  Pay $2.50/pound

Simple, and a fun evening outing.  When we got home I spent an hour or so washing our 7 pounds of blueberries.  A kitchen sieve helped me pick through them, removing small bugs, leaves, twigs, and damaged berries.  Now I am onto the fun part: baking time.  I found two recipes to try:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Freya loves feedback!